O mundo plano

Ciência, política, cinema, economia, poesia... "A Romance of many dimensions"

segunda-feira, janeiro 16, 2006

Um tríptico sobre Deus

1) Freedom

A bold assumption: Man is free. One desires what the body is capable of. One needs to be recognized in that desire. One needs to reflect desire as mirrors reflect beauty (or ugliness). Schopenhauer: I’m the slave of my will, therefore I can never attain absolute freedom. Man is free, I say. Wonder if the flute wouldn’t play at the wrong hours – how could it ever enchant us with its sweet and continuous melody; pursued by angels, invited by demons.
In its total freedom, Man hopes that god come by for supper. God is, indeed, free to choose. All desire and all sorts of desires are their prerogative: to kill, slaughter, give birth or make love are but the ingredients of a continuous narrative of desires invented by god. Is desire bigger than the world? Desire is the world – what contains and what is contained within. Fluxes and atoms, back and forth as day succeeds night and night succeeds day.

God talks with S. Augustine, I had the idea of playing chess with death, says god.
It seems swell, even if one has to make a greater effort to win. Death is the aim of chess, therefore it plays with itself, Augustine replies.
Yeah, replies god in a moody way. But that’s not the all story – Bergman had the same idea and now it simply doesn’t sounds too original.
Oh, Lord of heavens and all blissful creatures that live above the clouds –exhorted Augustine in a twitter that looked uncanny and inhuman- know that I do understand your anguish, your disappointment and your anxiety! Sometimes I have the same feeling: something stronger than me grabs my throat with gelid fingers and tries to asphyxiate me to death – is the urge to sin! I would say satisfy all my desires at once before it’s too late, because I’m heading towards chastity faster than I would think of in the first place.
God replies, are you really for serious or are you just pulling my leg? Without sin I wouldn’t be of any use. So take heed and sin as much as you can; until your body degenerates and nothing but luxury fixes you to earth.
OK, it seems sensible, said Augustine. Let’s strike a compromise then, challenged Augustine: Give me chastity and continence but not yet.